About Me

My photo
North Carolina, United States
(Allie & Harris) Wife, teacher, patient, thinker, friend, worrier, planner, seeker. These are the hats I wear on a daily basis for the roles in my life. Harris and I've been married since 1999 and we have two fur babies of the feline sort. We have a pretty good life, all things considered. But, it's not complete. Seven years ago I received a diagnosis of PCOS, a condition which has taken a toll on both my body and soul. It will not beat me though and we will be parents.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tomorrow! Week 2 Recap...

Tomorrow's the day for egg collection, and nobody is happier about that than me!  At this point, I have somewhere around 15 follicles all measuring mature, and everything is difficult from sitting to walking with the added puffiness and pressure from the meds.  I had my appointment for the trigger shot in the wee hours of this morning, and I am going in around 2:30 tomorrow for the 4:30 procedure.  For those who pray, please pray for me, the doctors and nurses, and the surrogate - that her uterus would be hospitable to our little embryos when the time comes!

Week 2 for me has brought some good shopping!  I've picked up most of the things I wanted to find from the previous trip including scarves and bangles for gifts, as well as the cloth that I wanted to find for recovering a chair and ottoman at home when I return.  Honestly the days have blurred into one another here, and it's likely that I'll repeat some things posted before.  Bear with me if that happens!

I met a woman at breakfast one morning (Harris says I've never met a stranger!).   We struck up a conversation, and then had a day shopping together afterwards!  We went to the N-Block market and found several things.  At a beautiful store called Kalol, I found the lovely pink fabrics that I'd searched for to recover a thrift store chair at home.  They have new fabrics brought in each week, and in addition to fabrics there are colorful clothes at very reasonable prices.  From there, we went across the street to a store called "Cottons" where my friend purchased a beautiful flowing muslin robe (white with gold trim!) and took it away in a lovely cloth store bag printed with pink roses! 

After that stop, we were off to Connaught Place (I'm sure that's spelled incorrectly - sorry!) for a quick shopping trip at a store called "Shaw & Sons" where I purchased 15 scarves and 8 bangles (the pretty hand-painted kind).  I bargained with the salesman and was okay walking away with the scarves for 150 INR each, and the bangles for 110 INR each.  Yes, I could probably have done better on the bangles, but the idea of having everything purchased really made me happy, so I went with it!  Shaw & Sons is on the B-block in Connaught Place (burgundy sign with yellow letters), and their upstairs showroom has A/C. 

Finally, I headed to a local shop (truly for locals with goats, chickens, and only Hindi signs) to pick up some of the little ankle bracelets Indian families put on their babies.  One of my girlfriends back home (who knows about this situation & has also struggled with infertility) is having a baby while I'm over here, and I thought this would be a perfect gift!  The anklets are silver and have little rattles all around them.  I didn't bargain for a number of reasons and paid 648 INR for the set - a price I'm fine with!  As near as I can understand, they use them to encourage the babies to kick and strengthen their legs.  When the babies begin to crawl, their feet point and the anklets are then found in the house marking their path.  Cute idea!  The shop I went to was "Pardeep Jewellers" located at C-96, JJ Colony, Khanpur, New Delhi.  The taxi driver had to call for directions and then also ask several people once we got to the area in order to find them.  TIP:  Take the driver with you to serve as the translator because the shopkeeper doesn't really speak much English.  In all honesty, I wouldn't have gotten out of the car without the driver coming with me. I've had all of my successful shopping trips with Suni!


Other than the shopping, there's not been much going on!  I've stayed in a lot to keep my feet up.  They're swelling to the size of personal watermelons most days, and putting them up helps that a good deal.  I have enjoyed staying at the Hilton.  The staff is very personable, the room is clean and comfortable, and it's readily accessible to the mall's food court and shops.  Oh, one funny thing did happen with the hotel.  I ended up having to switch rooms after the phone in the other was seemingly possessed by a ghost.  From 6:30 in the morning until 11 pm at night it would ring on speaker thru to guest services.  I mentioned to the Manager that perhaps there was a ghost in the room and he wanted something.  He suggested I unplug the phone until the engineers could come thru the next day.  The 5 people they had come look at it couldn't figure out the problem, so I was switched to a different room with a front facing view of the malls' courtyards.  On the way out of the old room, the housekeeping manager came thru to see if there was anything I needed.  I said "No, so long as there's no ghost in the new room wanting room service!"  She responded in a very serious tone, "No, no, no ghosts.  I have checked for you and gotten rid of all ghosts."  It was all I could do to keep a straight face as I envisioned the cleansing ritual being performed on the room prior to my arrival!  LOVE the Hilton!

I did go in and sign the contracts yesterday at SCI's clinic.  The surrogate was to come in and sign last night.  The final piece of the equation will be my taking them home for Harris to sign, and then mail back for filing.  It does seem odd to me that I couldn't sign and be done, but they do this everyday so I guess I just have to trust the process.  We'll sign and ship them back on the way home from the airport next Monday. 

That's all for now, I guess. I'm off to prop my feet up and watch "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" after a Skype session with Harris! 

15 comments:

  1. Yay good number of follicles, sounds like things are going great and what fab shopping (thanks for sharing your tips) have an amazing egg collection will say a prayer for you tonite x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Retail therapy in Delhi is good!!! I have loved seeing some of the things others have bought here!

      Delete
  2. Glad all going well. we loved the hilton too - thankfully no ghosts in our room:0. Best wishes for egg collection tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This new room is ghost free and I love having the full-size sofa that comes in the rooms with king-size beds!

      Delete
  3. all the best with your collection tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best for egg collection day. Thanks for the shopping tips... I got so overwhelmed shopping that I didn't buy much on the last trip! I'll make note of these places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great having others around to talk to about places to shop this trip. I really lucked out at that place with the fabric! It's the cheapest (and prettiest) I've found on either trip!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on follicle numbers! Sounds perfect! Good luck for tomorrow, we'll be praying for you to mother universe. Take it easy. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers are crossed hard and I so hope for the very best for you! Big hugs from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very exciting! My husband and I are exploring the possibility of using SCI to start our family and our friend wants to donate her eggs. I'd love to hear about your experience thus far. If you have time to talk about it I'd love to ask you a bunch of questions for her! Our email is LoveAtFirstWink [at] gmail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing. I'll email you and do what I can to answer from my experience! Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and prayers! I leave in just a few hours now and I'm getting a bit nervous! I just keep telling myself that tomorrow all this will be behind me and we'll finally, hopefully have great embryos growing!

      Delete
  9. Good luck with egg collection! Great numbers so far!! Sticky vibes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! I hate that we missed each other by a few days! I'd hoped to meet up with you this trip!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete