About Me

My photo
North Carolina, United States
(Allie & Harris) Wife, teacher, patient, thinker, friend, worrier, planner, seeker. These are the hats I wear on a daily basis for the roles in my life. Harris and I've been married since 1999 and we have two fur babies of the feline sort. We have a pretty good life, all things considered. But, it's not complete. Seven years ago I received a diagnosis of PCOS, a condition which has taken a toll on both my body and soul. It will not beat me though and we will be parents.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Yay, sleep! Week 1 Recap

After my first full (Delhi) night's sleep, I am feeling rejuvenated and fully human again!  That time change is rough!  It's amazing the difference 9 hours can make!  Hallelujah! 

Today is Sunday, so I've been here almost a full week at this point and it's been a pretty good one!  My doctor's appointment with Dr. Shivani on Wednesday went very well, and I was totally on track for my Day 1 as predicted.  I love it when my biology actually cooperates!  No cysts, good uterine lining, everything on track to start shots on Thursday.  Dr. Shivani even remembered my dislike (understatement of the decade) of needles and sent me over to see Dr. Modi again!  I LOVE DR. MODI!!!  Honestly, the woman is a miracle worker in my book.  She's consistently able to get my vein the first time, and she doesn't leave bruising.  GENIUS!

Thursday, Bernadette and I went back over to SCI to get the first shot.  She had to train with the nurses to use the Gonal F pen, and I am thrilled to say that she is a pro at this point AND actually does it with less pain than the nurses, I think.  We have had successful shots each night since in her living room while baby Scarlett snoozes away in the crib.  By the way, I have also decided that since I'm donating the eggs, Bernadette's giving the shots, and Harris is at home playing golf in the US, Bernadette is really going to be my baby-daddy if this works.  She was humble about that and said that she'd just ask that we have hers as the middle name!  LOL!  Again, it seems the best part of this experience is the friendships you make along the way!
Speaking of friendships, I've had the chance to share some meals with Jason & Adrian and Michael & John as well.  Wednesday night we all went out to dinner and ate family style at an Indian restaurant down the block from Svelte.  The food was great and the conversation was even better!  I didn't get to see Michael & John again before they left, and I hate that, but they are an amazing couple.  Strong, committed, good hearts, full of grace.  Their son is going to have an amazing life!

Yesterday, I crawled out of bed around 3:30 and met up with Bernadette, Jason & Adrian to head up to Jaipur for the day.  It's about a 4.5 hour drive, but it was nice to see a different part of India.  Once you get there, it really does have a distinct look about it.  The forts spread out across the hills are amazing and, had it been anything less than 1 million degrees, I would have loved to take one of the elephants up thru the passageways of Amber Fort.  I loved watching the others bargain for their beautiful rugs (in the air-conditioned showroom!) and checking out the fabric offerings there was great as well.  The salesmen kept us in bottled Pepsi and masala chai tea the entire time we were there! 

It's been a pretty good first week so far!  I'm looking forward to exploring at least one of the malls today and hunting down a good kids' book for my little god-nephew.  Fingers crossed that all continues to go well!

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you hooked up with the SCI crew and you are doing some sightseeing amidst the shots and jetlag. I re-read the quotes on the left side of your blog and I LOVE THEM. So, so true. I'm wishing you a lot of luck this time around...looks like you are in amazing company. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi guys! Yes, I am in amazing company! How lucky am I?! Thanks for your well wishes; my fingers are crossed and I'm saying prayers that this will happen for us now. Also, I'm a sucker for a good book, good quote, good anything written. That's what happens when you grow up with a mom who's a librarian! My first purchases today were at the bookstore in DLF!

      Delete
  2. Good Luck Allie - I love your Water Palace photo in Jaipur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a beautiful place to see. The entire area was just so phenomenal! I'm grateful to have gone!

      Delete
  3. Yay for sleep!!! Rooting for you girl! Tell everyone I said hello.
    Hit me up sometime with an email sometime and maybe we can meet stateside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that sounds excellent! I love meeting real-world blogging buddies!

      Delete
  4. Good luck Allie, it all sounds fantastic over there, you made me quite jealous actually :D Hope everything continues to go very well biologically, keep us posted Love SR x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes! I'm trying really hard to remain cautiously optimistic this go round. We had perfect embryos last time, and everything was really in place but it didn't work. Truly the most difficult negative we'd ever received. I don't want to even think about it not working again.

      Delete
  5. I am so happy for you that things are going so well!!You are also in good company too!!This makes the whole venture sooo much more sweeter!!Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Allie, so pleased to hear that everything is going to plan and that you have great company to support you through this process. Praying for you and Harris. It is so your turn for a positive result after all you have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that things are all going well. Good luck on the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you Allie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best Allie, glad to hear things are going well, keep enjoying the sights there is so much to see x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allie:
    "Best part of this experience is the friendships you make along the way!" We feel the same. Even though we met once, your warmth towards us was well-received.
    I'm glad we convinced you to join us for dinner with the other parents, even though you arrived in Delhi hours earlier. You said you were tired, but you looked great nevertheless.
    "Their son is going to have an amazing life!" Thank you for the vote of confidence. We hope to provide that for him. Sometimes when we look at him, we cannot believe that he's our son. Michael and I love him very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you still here? I'm at the hilton garden inn!

    ReplyDelete